01.
贪多嚼不烂,指太贪心导致一件事都完成不了
To bite off more than one can chew
- The boss fired him yesterday. Serves him right for biting off more than he could chew. - 老板昨天解雇了他。活该他贪多嚼不烂。 
 
- Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Take a moment to prepare a schedule that makes you feel productive andtake one step at a time. - 别太贪心。花时间制定一个高效的计划表,然后一步一步来。 
 
02.吸取教训
To learn one's lesson
- My computer crashed before I saved the document. I've learned my lesson, and now I save everything in time. - 在我保存文件之前,我的电脑死机了。现在我吸取了教训,会及时保存所有东西。 
 
- I told you that you'd feel awful if you drank that much wine. I hope you've learned your lesson. - 我告诉过你,如果你喝太多酒的话,你会觉得很不舒服。希望你能吸取教训。 
 
03.骄傲自大的,过度自满的
Cocky
04.
指不要过早下定论
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
- Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Wait until you get the confirmation by email because many thingscan happen before the contract is signed. - 别过于乐观。等到你通过电子邮件得到确认再说,因为在合同签署之前会发生很多事情。 
 
- Though he was leading the race, he had started celebrating even before the finish line, and in the process lost hislead.He had counted his chickensbefore they hatched. - 虽然他在比赛中领先,但他在终点线前就开始庆祝,在这个过程中失去了领先地位。他就是过于乐观了。 
 
05.
事实胜于雄辩
Actions speak louder than words
- He keeps saying he loves me, but actions speak louder than words. - 他总是说他爱我,但是行动胜于语言。 
 
- She keeps promising that she'll finish the project next week. It's been three weeks already and, well, actions speaklouder than words. - 她一直保证下周完成这个项目。现在已经三个星期了,事实胜于雄辩。 
 
06.
积少成多
A penny saved is a penny earned
- I don't need to waste my time or money. I just wait for a better opportunity. A penny saved is a penny earned. - 我不需要浪费我的时间和金钱。我只是在等待更好的机会。省一分就是赚一分。 
 
- You shouldn't spend your money as soon as you get it, a penny saved is a penny earned. - 你不应该一拿到钱就花,省一分就是赚一分。