01.
一针及时,可省九针
A stitch in time saves nineA small effort made at the right time might save a big problem later on.
- Fixing that frayed rope was a real stitch in time. It would probably have snapped when the wind got up later if we hadn't.修理那根磨损的绳子真是一件费时费力的事。如果我们不这么做的话,晚些时候起风时它可能就断了。
 
02.
早起的鸟儿有虫吃
The early bird gets the worm.The person who arrives first is the one who is successful. 
- We'll want to be at the theater early for the best seats – the early bird gets the worm!我们想早点到电影院去抢最好的座位——早起的鸟儿有虫吃!
 
- I need to get up early tomorrow and go to the job centre - the early bird gets the worm!我明天要早起去就业中心——早起的鸟儿有虫吃!
 
03.拖延
ProcrastinationThe act of delaying something that must be done, often because it is unpleasant or boring.
- We can't afford any procrastination this week, and everything must be finished by Friday.这个星期我们不能拖延,所有的事情必须在星期五前完成。
 
04.事实胜于雄辩
Actions speak louder than words
He spoke up for the immigrants, but he gave them a bed in his house -  actions speak louder than words.
他为移民们说话,却在自己的房子里给了他们一张床——事实胜于雄辩。
I don't care what he says, only what he does - actions speak louder than words.
我不在乎他说什么,只在乎他做什么——行动胜于空谈。
05.熬夜,开夜车
Burn the midnight oilTo work late into the night.
Sorry, I can't come to the pub. This report's due at 9 am and I'll need to burn the midnight oil if I am going to get it finished.
对不起,我不能去酒吧。这份报告要在上午9点交,如果我要完成它的话,我得加夜班。
I have an important exam tomorrow, so I'm going to burn the midnight oil to prepare for it.
明天我有一个重要的考试,所以我打算今晚要挑灯夜读了。
06.费力的工作
Elbow grease - a lot of physical effort. 
A raised edge along the side of a street, often forming part of a path for people to walk on. 
- The polish needs a certain amount of elbow grease to apply.
这抛光工作需要花一定的力气才能完成。
 
07.加倍努力
Go the extra mile - going beyond what is usually required.
- He didn't need to pick me up from the airport. I'm grateful that he went the extra mile.他不需要去机场接我。我很感激他做这么多。
 - She went the extra mile for dinner tonight by baking her famous apple pie for dessert.她为今晚的晚餐做了很多努力,烤了她拿手的苹果派当甜点。
 
08.竭尽全力
Bend over backwardsMake extravagant efforts to avoid bias. 
- We will bend over backwards to be fair to both parties.
我们会尽一切努力对双方都公平。
 
09.用功学习
Hit the booksTo study, especially for a test or exam.
10.筋疲力尽
Run out of steam / running on fumes
Completely out of energy.
- I'm running out of steam, and I need to take a break.
我已经筋疲力尽了,我需要休息一下。
 
- I was going strong in the marathon until I hit the wall at the twenty-mile mark. Then I was running on fumes.我在马拉松比赛中一直劲头很足,直到我跑到二十英里处,我就筋疲力尽了。